The Government recognises the importance of families in Singapore and is committed to helping Singaporeans achieve their marriage and parenthood aspirations.
Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, Coordinating Minister for National Security and Minister-in-charge of population issues, announced the enhanced Marriage & Parenthood Package on 21 January 2012.
The enhanced package aims to provide more comprehensive support for Singaporeans in getting married and starting their families.
These enhancements include:
- Extension of the maternity protection to cover the full pregnancy period,
- Introduction of Shared Parental Leave to allow fathers to share up to 1 week of the mother's maternity leave,
- Introduction of 1 week Government-Paid Paternity Leave,
- Extension of 2 days Childcare Leave for each parent with a Singapore citizen child between the ages of 7 and 12, and
- Provision for 4 weeks of Government-Paid Adoption Leave.
Although the Legislation governing these leave schemes is effective from 1 May 2013, employers are encouraged to implement the new benefits for any Singapore citizen births from 1 January 2013.
For further clarifications, please contact their hotline at 1800 439 2229 (1800 HEY BABY).